Episteme - July 9th - Countries and capitals

 Day 3 - Countries and their capitals

Why countries?

I got reminded of one time in Year 8 where I was one of the few people who got 5/5 for remembering random countries in Asia's capitals, and so I thought - what if I did that again, but with every single country? I've forgotten some capitals, so I might as well refresh my memory.

List of countries

Once again, list retrieved from my trusted friend, Wikipedia. We're doing it by life expectancy just because, hey, learning something extra is great, isn't it?

Here's how it'll go - I'll copy the list, and in a different colour I'll try my best to remember the capitals of as many countries as possible. For those I forgot, I'll learn their continents in separate sections. Let's commence the list:

Actually, I'm doing it by name, because it's easier to find lists to copy and paste.

  1. Afghanistan - I don't know, but I have a vague idea... Kahal?
  2. Albania
  3. Algeria
  4. Andorra
  5. Angola
  6. Antigua and Barbuda
  7. Argentina
  8. Armenia
  9. Australia - Canberra
  10. Austria - Prague?
  11. Azerbaijan
  12. The Bahamas 
  13. Bahrain
  14. Bangladesh
  15. Barbados
  16. Belarus
  17. Belgium
  18. Belize
  19. Benin
  20. Bhutan
  21. Bolivia
  22. Bosnia and Herzegovina
  23. Botswana
  24. Brazil - Brasilia?
  25. Brunei
  26. Bulgaria
  27. Burkina Faso
  28. Burundi
  29. Cabo Verde
  30. Cambodia - Laos
  31. Cameroon
  32. Canada - Toronto?
  33. Central African Republic
  34. Chad
  35. Chile
  36. China - Beijing
  37. Colombia
  38. Comoros
  39. Congo, Democratic Republic of the
  40. Congo, Republic of the
  41. Costa Rica
  42. Côte d’Ivoire
  43. Croatia
  44. Cuba
  45. Cyprus
  46. Czech Republic
  47. Denmark
  48. Djibouti
  49. Dominica
  50. Dominican Republic
  51. East Timor (Timor-Leste)
  52. Ecuador
  53. Egypt - Cairo
  54. El Salvador
  55. Equatorial Guinea
  56. Eritrea
  57. Estonia
  58. Eswatini
  59. Ethiopia
  60. Fiji
  61. Finland - Helsinki
  62. France - Paris
  63. Gabon
  64. The Gambia
  65. Georgia
  66. Germany - How the heck do I not know Germany
  67. Ghana
  68. Greece - Cyprus? Hold on, isn't that a country
  69. Grenada
  70. Guatemala
  71. Guinea
  72. Guinea-Bissau
  73. Guyana
  74. Haiti
  75. Honduras
  76. Hungary
  77. Iceland
  78. India - New Delhi
  79. Indonesia - Jakarta
  80. Iran
  81. Iraq
  82. Ireland - Dublin
  83. Israel
  84. Italy - Rome
  85. Jamaica
  86. Japan - Tokyo
  87. Jordan
  88. Kazakhstan- Shit, I know this. Astana?
  89. Kenya
  90. Kiribati
  91. Korea, North
  92. Korea, South - Seoul
  93. Kosovo
  94. Kuwait
  95. Kyrgyzstan 
  96. Laos
  97. Latvia
  98. Lebanon
  99. Lesotho
  100. Liberia
  101. Libya
  102. Liechtenstein
  103. Lithuania
  104. Luxembourg
  105. Madagascar
  106. Malawi
  107. Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur
  108. Maldives - I KNOW THIS uhhh fuck
  109. Mali
  110. Malta
  111. Marshall Islands
  112. Mauritania
  113. Mauritius
  114. Mexico - Mexico... City?
  115. Micronesia, Federated States of
  116. Moldova
  117. Monaco
  118. Mongolia - Ulaanbatar
  119. Montenegro
  120. Morocco
  121. Mozambique
  122. Myanmar (Burma)
  123. Namibia
  124. Nauru
  125. Nepal - I know it's some long name, but... Tibet
  126. Netherlands - Amsterdam
  127. New Zealand - ...Auckland?
  128. Nicaragua
  129. Niger
  130. Nigeria
  131. North Macedonia
  132. Norway - Oslo
  133. Oman
  134. Pakistan - Islamabad
  135. Palau
  136. Panama - I have a good feeling this is just Panama
  137. Papua New Guinea
  138. Paraguay
  139. Peru
  140. Philippines - Manila
  141. Poland - Something that ends in k, maybe
  142. Portugal
  143. Qatar
  144. Romania
  145. Russia - Moscow
  146. Rwanda
  147. Saint Kitts and Nevis
  148. Saint Lucia
  149. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  150. Samoa
  151. San Marino
  152. Sao Tome and Principe
  153. Saudi Arabia - I really should know this
  154. Senegal
  155. Serbia
  156. Seychelles
  157. Sierra Leone
  158. Singapore - Singapore
  159. Slovakia
  160. Slovenia
  161. Solomon Islands
  162. Somalia
  163. South Africa - My friend is literally from South Africa. Cape Town?
  164. Spain - Madrid, maybe
  165. Sri Lanka
  166. Sudan
  167. Sudan, South
  168. Suriname
  169. Sweden
  170. Switzerland
  171. Syria
  172. Taiwan
  173. Tajikistan
  174. Tanzania
  175. Thailand - Bangkok
  176. Togo
  177. Tonga
  178. Trinidad and Tobago
  179. Tunisia
  180. Turkey - Ankara
  181. Turkmenistan
  182. Tuvalu
  183. Uganda
  184. Ukraine
  185. United Arab Emirates - Dubai?
  186. United Kingdom - Shit, uh, London? Which made me realise there's no England, Scotland, and Wales. Anyways Cardiff for Wales and Edinburgh for Scotland.
  187. United States - Washington D.C
  188. Uruguay
  189. Uzbekistan
  190. Vanuatu
  191. Vatican City - Vatican City, maybe
  192. Venezuela
  193. Vietnam - Hanoi
  194. Yemen
  195. Zambia
  196. Zimbabwe
I messed up, bad. I know a lot less than I thought I did. Anyways, counting what I do know, it's about 38 countries. I counted the UK as one just because Britainnica counted it as one (ah... it's in the name)
Anyways, checking the answers.
  1. Afghanistan - KABUL YOU IDIOT
  2. Australia - Aussie boy Jake is proud
  3. Austria - the capital of Austria, is not, in fact, Prague, but rather Vienna.
  4. Brazil - I'm not fooled like everyone else and won't put Rio de Janeiro
  5. Cambodia - Why the heck did I put Laos  Phnom Penh
  6. Canada - Ottawa. Damn it.
  7. China - Thank God I'm right
  8. Egypt - yep
  9. France - yep
  10. Greece - ATHENS
  11. India - yep
  12. Indonesia - yep 
  13. Ireland - Dublin
  14. Italy - yep
  15. Japan - yep
  16. Kazakhstan - okay, this is actually wild. It was Astana, until like March 2019, where the name was changed to Nur-Sultana. So while I learnt Geography, I was right. But now, at 9th July 2021, I'm wrong.
  17. South Korea - yeah
  18. Malaysia -  yep
  19. Mexico - yep
  20. Mongolia - Ah, I love remembering last minute. Though I did spell it wrongly - Ulaanbaatar. I'll still award myself a point for that though.
  21. Nepal - KATHMANDU
  22. The Netherlands - yes
  23. New Zealand - Wellington(boots :/)
  24. Norway - Oslo  
  25. Pakistan - Islamabad
  26. Panama - It was Panama CITY
  27. Phillipines - Manila is right
  28. Russia - Moscow ye
  29. Singapore - yep
  30. South Africa - apparently Cape Town is right, but they have three capitals; Pretoria is executive.  Judical capital would be Bloemfontein
  31. Spain - yes
  32. Thailand - Bangkok
  33. Turkey - yep
  34. UAE - Fuck, Abu Dhabi
  35. United Kingdom - yeah it's London
  36. US - Washington, D.C. With a comma
  37. Vatican City - yep, Vatican City
  38. Vietnam - got it
Okay, I'm really exhausted, I can't open my eyes and I don't feel like continuing. Spending one hour on yesterday's Episteme challenge at 1 am, more time on aemuludiary, and even more time on my graduation speech, plus not being able to sleep and ending up sleeping at 5 am? Not very good. I set my alarm to 11 am and I'm exhausted. So unfortunately, as much as it hurts my pride to not learn every country's capitals, I'm going to be selective and choose which one I'm most curious about in each alphabet. If I ever get curious and want to pick this up again for the next Episteme challenge I always can.

Argentina

Okay, so Argentina just seems like a good addition because South America bro.
Capital: BUENOS AIRES. I KNEW I KNEW

Bangladesh

It's at the top of my head, I know it.
Capital: Dhaka

Chad

We used to call my sister's imaginary boyfriend Chad.
Capital: N'Djamena

Denmark

IT'S COPENHAGEN

Ecuador

Ecuador = chocolate. Or that's what I remember about Thea Stilton.
Capital: Quito

*Hold up I just remembered the capital of Finland. Helsink. I'll update my guess in a different colour.

Fiji

I remember the other two Fs so I'll have to do Fiji.
Capital: Suva

Ghana

I like the name Ghana, so
Capital: Accra

Honduras 

Having a mountain-y country helps with diversity
Capital: Taegucigalpa (well this is a mouthful)

Iceland

I need the Slavic countries because they're all cool (heh) and they're all on the tip of my tongue (or fingers)
Capital: Reykjavík

Jamaica

One of the best country flags.
Capital: Kingston

Krygyzstan

If anyone watches Asia's Got Talent, there's a cool dance crew from here.
Capital: Bishkek (FISH CAKE. I knew this before grr)

Lebanon

Thought it stood out
Capital: Beirut (I have a feeling I used to know)(she didn't have to cut me off)

Madagascar

Penguins of Madagascar, right? :3
Capital: Antananarivo

Maldives

An extra M one, but I swear I remember it
Capital: Malé. I knew it was similar to the country name but damn.

Nigeria

Was debating between Niger and Nigeria but hey, ended up choosing the bigger one (both in terms of population and word length. Niger's the huger country though)
Capital: Abuja

Oman

The only country on the list with the letter O.
Capital: Muscat (sounds yum)

Portugal

Cristiano Ronaldo :3
Capital: LISBON. IT'S F***KING LISBON

Qatar

Q country
Capital: Doha

Romania

Romania has awesome castles
Capital: Bucharest

Sri Lanka

I wanted to do Switzerland, but the previous country chosen was European so I went with this instead.
Capital: Sri Jayawardenputra Kotte

Taiwan

I have a slight feeling it's just Taiwan, but still curious, so
Capital: Taipei City (I was wrong)

Ukraine

Ukraine has such a chic name.
Capital: Kyiv

Venezuela

Another pretty elegant country name
Capital: Caracas (like maracas. A dance-y name like the country. Except it sounds like carcass too, which is a pity)

Yemen

Amen
Capital: Sana'a (no Sana no life)

Zimbabwe

My favourite country name besides Chad when I was younger. Cool name to pronounce, very swag
Capital: Harare (kind like Harambe)

----

Other things learnt:
- Niger's land is 80% desert; Sahara desert to be precise.
- joie de vivre equates an exuberant energy

Proud of myself for trying to complete this despite being deadly exhausted. Till tomorrow, and hopefully I have more time to write something like the Qualia one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rhythm Hive 1

Episteme - July 11th - Socionics Intertype Relations

Episteme - Compensatory 10th July - Bladder Mystery